About the Center
Population aging and the spread of communicable diseases are serious problems in the world. Collaboration between medicine and engineering called "medical engineering" is expected to play an important role for the development of drugs and medical devices, as well as improving information technology on personalized medicine.
Yamaguchi University has established education divisions related to medical engineering since 2001. Based on the divisions, we have started a new research center of excellence, YUBEC (Yamaguchi University Biomedical Engineering Center).
As a human body is composed of organic/inorganic materials and regarded as a highly sophisticated machine, engineering analysis of the human body will enable us to develop new, efficient drugs, diagnostic techniques and medical devices. YUBEC will contribute greatly to our prosperous future through the research and development in biomedical engineering.
1. Life and Medical Sciences Research Division
Chemistry Unit conducts basic research in chemistry and biochemical engineering related to synthesis of biomedi- cal materials, bioseparation, drug delivery system, and artificial cell membrane systems.
Biology Unit focuses on human functions such as repro- duction, regeneration, and brain function. It also conducts drug development and analyzes the causes of diseases using model organisms and cultured cells.
Clinical Medical Science Unit conducts etiological and pathological analyses and develops diagnostic methods and treatments based on fundamental and clinical research.
2. Mechanical Informatics and Medical Engineering Research Division
Mechanical Engineering Unit physically analyzes human body and tissue functions and develops medical equipment utilizing physical factors such as X-rays and ultrasound.
Information Science Unit develops new diagnostic technologies based on statistical analysis of big data.
Clinical Medical Engineering Unit aims to develop new non-invasive cancer treatments by developing new image analysis methods and image guided irradiation systems and also intends to develop a learning system using an extensive radiography database.
3. International Industry-Academia Partnerships Support Division
The division supports partnerships between industry and academia by providing technical support and patent-related activities.
Main research achievements
- Application of mechano-electrochemical simulation to dynamics analysis of articular cartilage
- Simulational modeling of cardiovascular system for developing medical device for cardiac disease
- Application of statistical pattern recognition methods in predicting metastasis and recurrence of cancer
- Use of membrane-permeable nano-assemblies to develop next-generation vaccines.
- Analysis of insemination and developmental mechanisms in vertebrates for reproductive technology.
- Development of protein drug purification design models
- Development of systems for mass production of vaccines in yeast.